While I have only seen one of his films all the way through (Inland Empire) what I see of David Lynch's work always interests me. I am definitely a sucker for the surreal and dark, and his works all have that in high quantities.
Since the film I'm working on (Baby) is slightly surreal and menacing and so I thought looking at some of Lynch's work could give me some ideas for the soundtrack as I want to write it myself. I have been struggling with which direction to go with the soundtrack, but Ron suggested I should maybe try going all out and be more experimental. My problem was that I was trying to make something too conventional and it just didn't fit with the picture. It looks like a normal drama, but there's a sinister unease throughout and the end is extremely surreal and so the soundtrack has to reflect this. Looking at Lynch's work has given me some definite ideas on what to try next.
This piece is from the soundtrack to Inland Empire and is composed by Lynch himself. He is a huge fan of using extreme reverberation to create ethereal tones and I intend to use something similar to this in parts of Baby.
No comments:
Post a Comment