Saturday, 14 December 2013

Learning Pro Tools

All the crazy work I've been doing on Baby has definitely been an effective kickstart course for learning to use Pro Tools. My efficiency and effectiveness with the software has increased massively the last few days as I've had to work fast and pick up things as I go.

Overall I'm very happy with the software. It's easy to navigate and use, seems very stable and suits the high standard of precise editing that I need in a piece sound editing software. Marking the whole video up with each sound (something I always try to do, saves so much time later) was easy which is important.

The transition is a little strange. In some ways I preferred the mechanics of how Soundtrack Pro merged two sound clips together and things like that, but I think overall Pro Tools is more usable. Plus it never crashed on me and the autosaves are more reliable. I've lost a lot of work due to crashes with Soundtrack Pro.

The major issue, though, is plug-ins. Unfortunately Pro Tools doesn't have everything you might want (or sometimes need) installed by default. It is also very inconsistent from Mac to Mac at the university. Soundtrack Pro was much more reliable and had all the plug-ins I would want. They were also all very good and I was good at using them. I am still getting the hang of some of Pro Tools effects and utilities.

Still, I am happy to be using something that seems to be more widespread in the industry. Knowing both Pro Tools and Soundtrack Pro fairly well will hopefully be very useful when working in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment